Translate

Friday, February 21, 2014

Earring 0003 - Facets of Life


You would think the pretty piece was the earring for this time but look again. The earrings are simple earrings on the upper left-side. The black button made it almost impossible for me to find a matching pair of earrings. However, if you look closely, both the earrings and button are faceted.

Donna worked a long time in her lifetime. I realize now why she finally retired. It wasn't so she could enjoy the good life, it was so she could match up her earrings with her clothes and shoes. It took me 20 minutes this morning to find the "right" pair of earrings. It taught me a good lesson. Even though I thought I had enough time to find earrings to go with my outfit, it had to be the right pair, which takes so much more time. I think Donna's solution was to have a lot of clothes to chose from. She was always dressed to the hilt even if she was in a pair of jeans. Wait to you see the earrings that are meant to be worn with jeans!

 My mom had a different shape than Donna but mom also always dressed to the hilt. She never went out the door unless she had her lipstick on and looked presentable. Thinking back, mom pretty much always wore dresses. When pantsuits came into the picture, she wore those too but always preferred her dresses. Mom didn't have as many earrings as Donna and she didn't have her ears pierced either. I only have a couple of mom's earrings.

My mom's sister, Auntie Marianne, was another one to dress to the hilt. Auntie M looked like Judy Garland especially with her large, dark brown eyes. When I start going through my pictures again, I'll post a picture of Auntie M and you'll be able to see what I mean. I don't think Auntie M had as much jewelry as my mom but she didn't need them because of her eyes.

I didn't get my style from my mom, my Auntie M, nor Donna. Growing up, I was a tomboy. Mom always sent me outside to "help" dad. Guess I was a little hyperactive (maybe a lot) and that was her way of dealing with me. I loved to help dad so it wasn't a problem for me. Dad taught me a lot of mechanical things so I learned how to use tools. Dad was a good repairman. Even though I don't consider myself a repair person of any kind, I can use tools. In fact, I'm the only one in my family who is mechanical. My four brothers (all older than me) didn't get to learn from dad the way I did. When I think about it, even my sister, who is four years younger than me spent more time with mom than dad...that's cuz she was the "good" girl. Guess being a problem child had its advantages.

My commitment to myself is not to spend so much time finding the right pair of earrings to go with the outfit; now it's to find a pair of earrings that I want to wear and the clothes will play second fiddle.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.