Translate

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Earing 0240 - Slide Rule

Everyone talks about Internet and computers crashing. That lead me back to my high school days of using a slide rule for my trig class. Never did I think that I would learn how to use one, let alone enjoy using it. What surprised me was that my mom remembered how to use it from when she went to high school. With a slide rule, you can add, subtract, divide, multiple, do trig, roots and powers. It's a powerful tool developed in the 1600s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule. Maybe I should get one and start practicing it again.


Well, I'm not going to say something cliché like those were the good old days but I did feel smarter using the slide rule than using my computer.

Here's another site that has information about the slide rule helped put a man on the moon. The comments are of particular interest and bring back a lot of memories for myself and others. http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/10/22/356937347/the-slide-rule-a-computing-device-that-put-a-man-on-the-moon

Today's earrings


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.