Translate

Monday, October 6, 2014

Earring 0217 - Nothing Comes to Mind

Usually a title happens without me thinking too much about it but not today. It's Monday! Started my day with my alarm clock not ringing (cell phone died sometime last night). Had several pairs of earrings on before I found the right ones to wear. No hot water (still no hot water tonight). However, all of this being said, something nice happened to me today. At McDonald's drive through today, there was a man parked in the car alongside the rest of the cars. No one was letting him in so I let him in front of me. No big deal especially since he was there before at least a couple of cars besides mine. He bought my lunch. So unexpected. Not a big spender at the fast food place but I had wanted to play it forward. The manager knows that I come there frequently and said that I should be happy for my free meal and come again another time. I like to buy coffee for people behind me every once in a while. It happened to me once and I liked how I felt. Now I have a different feeling by having had my lunch bought for me. It felt good. The bonus was that the French fries were hot!

My third oldest brother and I had a long conversation yesterday about our parents, especially our dad. He agreed that we were really lucky in the parent department because our parents taught us a lot about the people we were to become. We're pretty open to others' opinions (we don't have to agree with it though) and our parents' were generous with their time with us. We always went on picnics, even if it was to a local park. We always went fishing. Mom scraped by and was able to save up enough for us to go to a cabin in Northern Minnesota fishing for a week. We all got fishing licenses so that we could get our limit of sunfish for the freezer. Dad made the best batter-fried fish and we ate a lot of it. Plus family friends liked to come and eat the fish with us.

Mom and dad disciplined us by spankings, used a switch, and a couple of other things. Had they done that now, they would have been put in jail and all of us kids in foster homes. They never beat us. I don't think any of us could say that being disciplined affected us negatively but in fact, affected us positively. We always knew where we stood with our parents. When we were going to get a spanking, mom would say "get over here now otherwise you are going to get it twice as hard." Don't think any of us hesitated but never even thought about not going to her. We had no fear of our parents, only respect.  My brother and I don't know at what age spankings stopped, they just did.

Our parents encouraged us to participate in sports, scouts, and music. They always went to PTA meetings and whenever there was a school function that needed a cake or other baked good, mom never hesitated. Funny thing is that we (myself and siblings) treated our kids the same way and none of us could be prouder than what we are. The trickle down sure worked well and now our grandchildren are experiencing the same thing.

All of a sudden, I realized how wonderful today is. What a great family I have and I'm proud of them.

Today's earrings are keepers