Translate

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Earring 0232 - Because that's how my mother did it

Think I heard that about three times today. It was done because that's the way it's always been done. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right way, the wrong way, the best way, or the worse way. I'm a "big picture" person. Once I understand how things work to get you to where you are going, then I can not only do what I'm doing better, usually I can figure out ways to streamline or make it a little better. It's not necessary that my suggestions are always better nor are they always right. It's kind of like a game to see if it can be done better. Personally, I don't like to backtrack. I want the fastest, most efficient, most productive, most ....and the list goes on and on.

Even with my packing, I imagine what it's like to unpack. So I figure out in advance where things get moved to and how things are packed. Years ago I learned that I was very anal when it came to some things; things that are uncomplicated often bore me. One of my grade school teachers realized this and gave me projects to work on and then evaluated my projects. Amazing how good I can write when it's something I want to write about (meaning someone else besides my family can read my writing).

Our mom was probably the same way. I can remember when we went on trips (imagine packing four to six kids in a car for a trip that takes five hours or more and that you're going to be gone for a week, plus don't forget the tent, the coolers, and the fishing gear for everyone), she was the best packer that I ever met. The trunk wasn't just a space filled with stuff. It was a piece of art and she could tell you exactly where the electric frying pan was (we had to have that along so dad could make batter-fried fish). I think four out of six of us kids (hahaha kids with current ages ranging from 72 down to 57) got that gene from our mom. Too bad we got the thin hair gene from her too!

Today's earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.