Translate

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Earring 0236 - Earworms

This word stuck in my head and I can't quit thinking about it. First off, I never heard of earworms until I watched "My Lovable Girl" on Dramafever.com. They kind of used the word in the right way, well close enough to it. Had to look up what it meant. The guy in the show had been in a car accident and got earworms. I thought to myself, that was pretty strange to get worms in your ear from a car accident. As I learned, that is not the case.

Earworms are songs that get stuck in your head and you end up hearing it over and over for no reason. For instance, Friday morning the stars were still shining when I woke up early. From that point on until midday, all I could think of was "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." Sometimes I wake up singing tunes and those carry throughout the morning too. {Side note: in the movie, the guy heard noises at various times repeatedly so in a sense, I can understand why they called it earworms.)

Great article if you're interested in earworms "Earworms: Why That Song Gets Stuck In Your Head" at http://www.npr.org/2012/03/12/148460545/why-that-song-gets-stuck-in-your-head. About 90% of the people have this happen to them at least once a week. Personally, I know that my sister and I have them much more frequent. Someone is actually doing a study on it. The article was at least three years old and I wonder how many "captured" earworm stories they now have. The comments are pretty fun to read too.

You can take part of a survey that is collecting information on earworms too. It's located at http://earwormery.com/.

Always something going on Internet. Have you ever given someone an earworm by singing a few lines of a song? "What's new pussy cat?"

Today's earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.