Translate

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Jan 8 "Sweet Land" Minnesota

One of the train rides in France which I viewed on YouTube showed a place in France that the 45 parallel goes through. Well, the 45 parallel also goes through the Norwegian community of Madison, Minnesota. After reading about the lutefisk capital of the United States, I realized that a movie that I have watched multiple times was filmed there. The movie was called '''Sweet Land" and is about a German bride for a Norwegian man. Sounds just like my mom and dad! Maybe that's why I liked it so much. Actually, it's a heart-warming story of love and compassion. Even though my dad had a briskness about him that he got through his Norwegian roots, he was one of the most loving husband and father that I know, followed closely behind by my brothers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Land and 45th parallel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_parallel_north#Cities_and_communities and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison,_Minnesota

One of the things I didn't know about the 45th parallel is that there is a historical marker in a beautiful park in Golden Valley (adjacent to Minneapolis). The park is Theodore Wirth Park, one of the parks that my brother and sister-in-law drove around this past fall on one of my trips to Minneapolis. Even though I lived near the park, I never thought about the 45th parallel before. Granted there's many parallels so I looked them up on Wikipedia to see the parallels and where they were in the different countries around the world. It was pretty interesting but I still think the 45th is the best.

Today's earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.