Translate

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Earring 0040 - Spring has sprung!

Today was a day where God led my path. First, I tried getting my hair cut but the stylist that I've seen for a number of years has the weekend off. Long time ago I learned don't just let anyone cut your hair. Plus I made a promise to a very good friend of mine who was also my stylist for 15+ years not to cut my own hair. I've kept that promise and I hope as she is looking down on me from the heavens that she has a smile on her face.

Since that didn't work, then my next stop was the public library. Thought I had a book to pick up but it was an ebook that was available for download. Using Republic Wireless, I'm able to have access to many applications and Kindle is one of them. (Republic Wireless is less expensive than Straight Talk and it's a great service too - I don't get a commission from them but am happy to promote them because they offer affordable cell communications that are good.) Back to the library. The closest parking place was a couple blocks away. Our library does not have hours conducive to working people. They are only open on Saturdays until 2 pm, aren't open on Sundays, and are only open till 6 p.m. sometimes during the weekdays. The public library in Joplin, MO, is customer-oriented because they are open seven days a week and have hours so someone working during days can use the library at night. The one good thing about our library is that you can download books and now magazines. Haven't been able to set up an account for the magazines so that was another reason to go to the library. Oh well, maybe next week...

Looks like I will have to come back to attach the photo of the earrings. They were a fun pair that went great with jeans. I'm so grateful to be wearing my gifted earrings. Being able to write about them has been an added bonus. The earrings have been very beneficial for me!

With the plans changing, I thought a ride would be nice. The weather was beautiful and I knew the eagles would be flying. Called my sister and off we went on a ride for about 80 miles. What a blessing we received! It took us an hour to go 15 miles.  Before we even got out very far, we saw a snowy owl. We've seen one in the same spot a few years ago. It must be passing through.

There were so many eagles and ducks. My sister got all excited when she saw a couple of sandhill cranes. Typically we see a few a year but she was able to take a couple of photos of them. If I can get some of her pictures from today, I will post them. We were almost to a tiny town and we had to stop. My sister said that I should look at the birds in the field. We couldn't tell what they were. There was no place to pull over so I stopped in the road (there was no traffic). Got the binoculars out and were amazed at what we saw. I counted at least 83 sandhill cranes in the field. What a sight they were. They were also flying overhead of us in pairs. Both my sister and I can make the noise they make. Until today, I had never heard a sandhill crane. The funny thing is that it is a noise similar to one that we used to tease our second oldest brothers about because he couldn't make that sound. Needless to say, for a lot of the trip, my sister and I were making sandhill crane noises. My throat still hurts.

It was an exciting day. We saw over 270 bald eagles. Many pairs were doing their mating ritual, the talon lock. It's pretty cool to see one of the eagles roll underneath the over to lock talons. Years ago we were told that most people wouldn't have an opportunity to see something like that. The year we were told that, we saw it. The eagles dropped from the sky and before they got to the trees, they broke away. That time was the most vivid time for a talon lock and I haven't seen one that spectacular in the last 20 years. However, the eagles today were doing the talon lock and tumbling downwards, not quite like the one time we saw it, but it is a beautiful sight to see.

What a beautiful day to be blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.