Translate

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Dec 17 - Danish Almond Kringle and Solvang's Bakery


First time in over 40 years that I made almond kringle from my mom's recipe. My sister dug out (last time she made it was 10 years ago) mom's cookbook so we could make it. Was making it for work but one of the two pieces almost looked like a bowl instead of flat piece of kringle. It tasted good as the three of us sampled it last night. My sister and I disagreed about the bottom "crust"; she wanted to use a rolling pin but I wanted to press it out. Does it make a difference in the method or rolling or pressing, don't think so but I bet professionals would say otherwise. One of the websites had a similar recipe and they pricked the sides of the kringle after 10 minutes, which is something I might try next time - thinking it may make the kringle not curl like it did. Took the other piece to work and it was gone by noon so I guess that was a good sign.

For the history of almond kringle, I found a good website http://solvangbakery.com/2013/the-kringle-a-short-history-of-the-danish-bakery-symbol/ Solvang Bakery sounds like a good place to visit. Actually, I was surprised at the price of their gingerbread houses. However, considering mom's and my experience with making a gingerbread house, Solvang's gingerbread houses would be priceless. My mom loved decorating the gingerbread house but she loved decorating anything with frosting - and I hated it. My sister-in-law has taken about cake decorating and I wonder if she has ever made and decorated a gingerbread house (Please don't make me one; I'm positive there are others out there that would like it but not me).

The city of Solvang looks like a cool place to visit too especially if you live in California. It's definitely a place of destination and would be a good road trip.   http://www.solvangusa.com/

Today's pin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.