Translate

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dec 6 More on Snowbirds - Eagles

Went for a drive today and on the way home, I counted about 12 eagles. It was dusk so I'm sure it was feeding time. Think I saw the smallest eagle I've ever seen. It only looked about a foot or so tall. It was a mature eagle (means that it has a white head and tail) so I know it was an eagle. Don't know why I don't bring my camera with me when I'm going out of town. Always miss good shots. Another photo that I missed was an eagle swooping alongside the road. Couldn't figure out if it was chasing something or maybe there was water where the eagle was flying. It seemed like the eagle would swoop and turn and swoop and turn and all in a pretty small area.

The weather is supposed to be really nice next weekend so I may have to plan a little road trip for eagle watching. Typically, this is the weekend eagles migrate through for their summer break. Guess that's why I call them snowbirds. They come through here in December, fly down south (we saw a lot of eagles in Florida in January), and then fly back through here in March/April. Some mature adults come back as early as late January/early February but you don't see many immature adults until March/April.

Earlier I was listening to "A Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor who mentioned tonight's full moon is called long nights moon. Looked it up at http://farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-names/ and found that it's really full long nights moon or full cold moon. I like Garrison's version better. It's a beautiful, huge moon tonight. I can't see it from my living room but will be able to see it again in the morning.

Garrison Keillor is one of my favorite entertainers. Maybe it's because he can understand being Norwegian and Minnesotan. Someone sent him a post about a conflict and his final response was so Minnesotan "You deal with it as Minnesotans have always dealt with thorny issues — we ignore them." I can totally relate to that. Under that same line of ignoring thorny issues is part of always being right. OOPS, did I really say that, let alone in print and publish it??? Here's the website of "Prairie Home Companion" http://prairiehome.org/2014/12/whipping-potatoes/#more-8793
He had a guest on his New York show tonight who sang wonderfully. I'm going to have to figure who she was and see if she has anything on YouTube.

Today's pin
Isn't this pin a little scary? Can't quite figure out why Donna had two of these. Maybe she wore them on coats or something but it's still kind of scary to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.