Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mar 3 - From Linear B to "Ever Cheat At Monopoly..."

First off, I lost an earring and will have to look for it at work tomorrow. The other one is in the car and I'm too cold to go get it to take a photo. Will try to post it tomorrow. Day later but here's the one earring - couldn't find the other but I forgot about it until I was almost home.
This is a silver earring even though it looks black in the photo. Just not a good photo.
Before arriving home after work tonight, I was listening to a story on National Public Radio on Alice Kober and her work on Linear B. She was instrumental in an Englishman (young and self-taught linguist) who deciphered Linear B. So what is Linear B. I knew that information on it was stored somewhere in my brain. Wikipedia described it as "syllabic script that was used for writing Mycenaean Greek, the earliest attested form of Greek " and as you can probably guess,
predates the Greek alphabet." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_B The author of a book on Alice Kober was interviewed on NPR. One of the things I thought interesting was that Prof. Kober had made index cards out of recycled paper and stored her writings in cigarette boxes. http://www.npr.org/2015/03/03/382662772/ever-cheat-at-monopoly-so-did-its-creator-he-stole-the-idea-from-a-woman

From there I went to another NPR story entitled " Ever Cheat at Monopoly? So Did Its Creator: He Stole the Idea From A Woman".  That sure got my attention as a Monopoly lover. Originally, the game was called "Landlord's Game, by Lizzie Magie, who was a game creator back when women couldn't even vote. There's more interesting facts at http://www.npr.org/2015/03/03/382662772/ever-cheat-at-monopoly-so-did-its-creator-he-stole-the-idea-from-a-woman and at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Magie. Gee, a female gamer before women were liberated!

I listen to Wisconsin Public Radio about 99% of the time when I listen to the radio. Really enjoy the different programs that are offered and I'm always learning something. It may be fun, it may be interesting, and it may be making me more intelligent. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.