Translate

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Earrings 0109 - Silver Sliver

Maybe I should have said sliver of silver to be more clear. Today's earrings remind me of a sliver of silver. They are very narrow and long; they look like slivers but they aren't a piece of something else...or are they?
 
 
Then I looked out the window and it is very cloudy today. That brought me to "every cloud has a silver lining", which brought me to the book I just started reading. Every cloud has a silver lining basically comes from a poem that I found at the following website http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining.html 
 
Comus: A Mask Presented at Ludlow Castle, 1634 by John Milton
I see ye visibly, and now believe
That he, the Supreme Good, to whom all things ill
Are but as slavish officers of vengeance,
Would send a glistering guardian, if need were
To keep my life and honour unassailed.
Was I deceived, or did a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night?
I did not err; there does a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night,
And casts a gleam over this tufted grove.
The phrase eventually turned into the one we know "every cloud has a silver lining." My book was a steal of the century. Bought it on Amazon for one cent with shipping of $3.99. What a great book this is. It's part of a recycling program of books. So often libraries get rid of their books (so sad to say this) through sales so that they can make room for new books. This was a former library book from Norwell Public Library and/or Whitman Public Library. Both are located in Massachusetts. Now the book is in Minnesota. I plan on hanging onto it plus it's a first edition (may be the only edition too). For some reason, I like books about ocean travel so this isn't my first book on oceans. This book was someone else's cloud but it's my silver lining.

The story also has a silver lining. The book is about the Massachusetts's New Bedford whaling fleet and their trip to the Artic. The time is 1871 and 32 out 39 ships were trapped in artic waters because they did not listen the Eskimos' warnings. There were 1200 passengers and the silver lining was not a single one lost their life. Now to get some reading done...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.