Translate

Friday, July 4, 2014

Earring 0125 - July 4

Hot pink, that's the best way to describe today's earrings. When I start painting earrings this fall/winter, this will be a pair that I paint. They are pretty as they are but I prefer decorative earrings. So the next life of these earrings, the hot pink will have zing too!
My hometown doesn't do anything to celebrate the 4th of July. The people who plan the local celebrations do a festival a couple of weeks before the 4th and have fireworks on the last day, which is always a Sunday. There's a car show that is pretty good. It would be nice if they had an art show to go with it. Maybe some year they will realize that the two go hand-in-hand.

The city that I spent my teens in did celebrate the 4th of July. Then they joined forces with another local city and every other year, the celebration is in one city. There's some things for kids to do and adults get to see each other after possibly not seeing them since the previous year or even longer. I haven't gone to this celebration for many years, probably well over 20 years ago. Maybe if my parents were still living then I would go.

I miss the fireworks on the 4th of July. It reminds me why we have this celebration. When I think of it, in my mind, I can hear our national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner", when the fireworks are going off. Ironically, the song's tune comes from a British song.

When we were kids, we always had picnics at our house. This was a day that mom would make homemade potato salad, baked beans, buns, and deserts. Dad would grill hot dogs and hamburgers. I can almost smell the grilled hot dogs! In addition to family being there, company was always invited too. Nothing was ever done half way and you could expect at least 30 people at the house for these celebrations. At night, my sister and I would have sparklers. Then we would go watch the fireworks.  I know I can remember two of my youngest brothers (who are 6+ years older than me) having sparklers too but I can't remember the two oldest brothers being there. I can vividly see my youngest brother waving his sparkler around trying to get me scared. Ah memories...

One celebration that comes to my mind was when my son, his wife and my two grandsons were staying with my husband (former). My son loves fireworks probably as much as I do. When they had come up from down south, they stopped and purchased fireworks. We were all sitting around a campfire (with full bellies from all the food we made) when my son and his father started lighting fireworks. It was spectacular. It was such a warm, bonding night that I will never forget.

Another 4th that comes to mind is when my second-to-youngest brother, his wife, my ex, and my son went to watch fireworks in St. Paul. I think the fireworks lasted well over an hour. My sister-in-law had her camera with her and got some great firework shots. That was another special night.

Maybe tonight I will have to go somewhere for a drive to watch fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.