Translate

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Earring 0167 - A Different Kind of Day Than Planned

Yesterday, I had high expectations of what today was going to be like. In my mind I wanted to go find a spot along the shore and sit and work on my quilt. Then the day changed. Got most of my cleaning done. Made a new batch of Kombucha; make this at least once a week because I feel better since I've been drinking it (not that I didn't feel good before, now I just feel better). Went to church, went grocery shopping, did laundry, and visited on the phone some. It was a well-spent day. Now I wonder what tomorrow will be like. I know that I want to do some stove-top smoking, which takes a couple of hours. Other than that, it's an open day with no obligations other than to live it.

Tonight I put a fan together. It's a oscillating fan that reminded me of my second oldest brother's fan from years ago. I have a fan at work but when it's on, I can't hear when others are talking to me from across the room. The fan is small but noisy. The new fan is quiet. It brought back memories of when my two oldest brothers lived together in a house. My sister and I were able to visit one week a year during the summer. It's probably all the longer our brothers could handle us. We'd go up there and clean, do dishes, make meals, etc. It gave us time away from our parents and time with our brothers. So what does this have to do with the fan...

My second oldest brother had an oscillating fan. It is very similar to the one that I have. It was so nice to take a nap while my brothers were away at work and have that fan blowing gently. Such a calm, serene feeling is what I get when I think of this memory. Even tonight while testing the fan (I had to assemble it and then unassembled/reassemble in order to make sure everything was tightened enough) I got that same calm, serene feeling. I would call it tranquility. Can you imagine how nice it will be to have this fan at work if this is how I feel just testing it. Hope it has the same effect.

Here's today's earring

 
I almost forgot about the book I was reading. It had to be returned yesterday. It was the book about the Hmong girl and American medicine. Actually it was more about how we misunderstand one another because when you're in a hurry, getting to the end is more important than what's in between. I did not finish the book and may get it another time because it was interesting. Learned about some of the Hmong practices an beliefs that I did not know. Counting my blessings because I'm in a place where people understand me and I understand them. With some health issues people have, I could imagine them feeling like those around them are foreign to them. So many lessons in patience and so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment and I will get back to you.