Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Earring 0178 - Yes, I am my mother's child

How many times have you heard the phrase "I am my mother's child." I tried finding where that phrase originated.
  1. According to SparkNotes (http://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/lit/the-scarlet-letter/chapter-8/), it is a line in the Scarlet Letter.
  2. In 2012, Courtney Spears (I do not know which Courtney Spears this is) wrote a wonderful poem "I Am My Mother's Child http://www.madisonandcathedral.com/mothers-child-courtney-spears/ 
  3. Another poem entitled "I am my mother's child" was written by Gloria Gatica http://allpoetry.com/poem/10590707-I-am-my-mothers-daughter-by-Gloria-Gatica - this one hit home.

That last poem was about a woman comparing herself to her mother who had passed. Maybe that is when women realized how much they are like their mothers. I'm proud to have been like my mother and have a lot of her traits and values. My eyes are similar to hers, as was my hair. My compulsive behavior is similar to hers but my compulsions are different (alphabetizing my spices, putting my fabrics in order by color).

It wasn't until after my mom died that I started turning into her. Who would have ever thought I would become my mother???? Not me and I'm certain of that! But lo and behold, I am my mother's child. Can't say that I'm the new and improved version of my mom but just a chip off the old block.
Bet you any money that my mom was like her mom too.

The reason I thought about this today was because of my earrings. Mom loved pearls and I am growing to love them more and more. Mom was my pearl.

To my sister-in-law, Donna was a pearl and I can see your mom in you too and that is a good thing.

Today's earrings

Finishing this off with another link for an article written by Vi-an Nguyen entitled "100 Inspiring Quotes about Moms for 100 Years of Mother's Days http://parade.condenast.com/288611/viannguyen/100-inspiring-quotes-about-moms-for-100-years-of-mothers-day/

Mom, I miss you. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you. Thank you for helping me become who I am. Thank you for being who you were. By the way Mom, can you see my fabric? I'm getting more and more like you but at the same time working on not getting the fearful traits you had. The last 30 years without you has been a long time. I miss your shoulder, your ear that was always willing to listen to the same old story, and I miss you stoking my hair when I have a headache. Life is not the same without you.